Sunday, January 16, 2011

Kaiya's 1st!




Kaiaya's first b-day party
I always make my kids first birthday cakes. I also like to theme all there party,s. Which most parents do I go all out on the themes. Tristin's where building blocks. First time I worked with fondant! I've learned a few things since then. Lilly's was just a big pink double stack. She had a minnie version for her self. Now for Kaiya's first I did Owls. There cute and the are seen as a symbol of wisdom. I would like to impart this to her as she grows. I made the invites even though I didn't get them sent out. Good thing it was only family and a phone call works well. I made a banner with little owls line art style and printed on card stock for my old kids to color for there baby sister! Now to the cakes I did make cupcakes for everybody else. (as seen in the pics.) I found a pic on the web of a owl cup cake and duped it for my needs
(it was chocolate and I used colored butter cream) For Kaiya's cake I had a small upright bear cake mold that my mother got for me at a auction. Love my mom and aunt they find the coolest things a yard sales and auctions! I had to shave the knees off a bit to accommodate for the Owls round shape. For colors used store bought pastel liquid colors. I know paste is better but they didn't have the colors I needed. The cake and cupcakes are made with ONE! I repeat One store bought box of french vanilla cake. The butter cream icing is the Wilton's Recipe. This is a lot of icing (my sister in-laws mom makes cakes on the side and this is her favorite recipe) Soft enough to eat and stiff enough to hold it's shape. Not like Royal Icing. I used Wilton tips for all of this. Oreo's for the eyes M@M's for the pupils and beaks.
Yes! I'm an amateur decorator I find it fun to do my own and saves me a ton of money. They may not look like a professional did them but she's one a they all get ate any way. Enjoy the photos! Have fun making your own!

1 comment:

  1. Your so awesome, Kendra. Your a fun, outgoing mother. I only wish I could be as crafty. Now that I have a house, almost lol, I'll have to get a sewing machine, I could have fun with that. Thanks for sharing,,lol, i didnt know you sung in the shower and busted moves. I have heard you are a good dancer tho. Love ya girl. - Stephanie

    ReplyDelete